Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Let God Arise .....

Since I've been on break, I've been sitting at home much more than usual and I've had time to reflect on my time in Japan and in Korea thus far.

Despite my complaining about the weather and having a semi-cast during the duration of my trip in Japan, I did take away some very profound lessons from my journey there. Seeing a shrine or a temple very few blocks forced me to recognize just how deeply embedded idol worship is in the Japanese culture. In the midst of the surrounding beauty of Japanese art, culture, high-fashion, shrines and temples, it is too easy to mute out the very existence of our awesome and powerful God. I wanted to grab everyone there and tell them about a life and reality that is beyond anything they would ever have imagined. Every time I saw a shrine or a buddah, I just wanted God to come and show His glory and His inexpressible love that would make those false gods melt in nothingness.

But it is no different in Seoul. There may be a church on every block, but how many are truly worshiping the one true and only God? How many people here have the hope and joy that comes only from knowing Jesus, instead of living for the next party, the next fashion trend, or the next boy/girlfriend?

Though I have only been here for 1.5 months, the distractions of being in a busy city have started to blur the lines between God and life - being in the world but not of the world.

Last week, at Jubilee church, Pastor David stated that worship poetically expresses the feelings we have in our heart that we do not have the talent or words to express ourselves. Thank goodness for Chris Tomlin - I want this song to be the song in my heart to help me remember that God is distinct, He is REAL, He is ALL-powerful and He is here with me in Seoul and with the people in Japan.

Glory in the Highest - Chris Tomlin

You are the first
You go before
You are the last
Lord, You're the encore
Your name's in lights for all to see
The starry host declare Your glory

Glory in the highest (3x)

Apart from You there is no god
Light of the world
The Bright and Morning Star
Your name will shine for all to see
You are the one
You are my glory

And no one else could ever compare
To You, Lord
All the earth together declares ...
Glory in the highest ... to You, Lord

All the earth will sing Your praise
The moon and stars, the sun and rain
Every nation will proclaim
That You are God and You will reign

Glory, glory hallelujah
Glory, glory to You, Lord
Glory, glory hallelujah